Reclaiming witchcraft is deeply rooted in environmental and socio-political activism. As practitioners of an earth-based spirituality, we bring magic into action and action into magic, with the goal of changing global consciousness.
Our activism covers many areas, including:
- environmentalism and sustainable living
- feminism and women’s rights, including reproductive rights
- LGBTQ rights
- peace and non-violence
- social justice and empowerment for individuals and communities
Food systems is of the main areas of activism that interests many of us who participate in Reclaiming in Montreal.
One of the easiest things we can do to reduce our impact on the environment is also one of the most effective. Below we’ve provided a list of actions that we can take, as well as some links to other organizations or sources of information promoting healthy and sustainable food habits.
Eating local foods…
- dramatically reduces pollution and greenhouse gas emissions due to transportation
- supports local farmers and the local economy
- helps us become more aware of the changing seasons in our local environment
- ensures better food quality due to reduced travel and stockage time
You can find local foods…
- at farmer’s markets
- at health food stores (a fairly comprehensive list can be found here, below the list of vegetarian restaurants)
What are some easy things we can do to reduce our impact on the environment?
March for Peace
In March, 2007, a group of us participated in the anti-war march and rally marking the 4th anniversary of the war in Iraq. We created colorful banners invoking the elements; some of them can be seen in this photo from the Montreal Mirror, behind the first group of people.
Photo by Rachel Granofsky for the Montreal Mirror